Health Information

Health related items needed prior to enrolling include:

  1. A state issued birth certificate.

  2. A copy of the health assessment prior to kindergarten or before enrolling in the district for the first time.

  3. Updated copy of students immunization record.

  4. Medical Release Form and Meal Modification forms.

  5. If participating in sports in school(Jr High/Sr High) will need KSHSAA pre-physical evaluation form and KSHSAA concussion & Head Injury Information Release.

    **Refer to Health Related Enrollment Forms to the left for printable forms.

If your child takes medication either Over the Counter(Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, etc.) or Prescription medication please fill out the form applicable to your child. See left side panel for forms.

General Information

  1. Each student needs to complete/update a Medical Release Statement on a yearly basis. This form is available from the school office, school nurse or at enrollment. 

  2. Students with a Specific Medical Condition, along with parents, should contact the school nurse. Individual health plans/emergency care plans will be designed and implemented for the student and their on-going health needs. Any/all information will be shared on a need- to-know basis only.

  3. Students with Food Allergies/Food Intolerances must have a signed Meal Modification Form signed by physician and parent/guardian. Required forms for this can be obtained from the school office, school nurse or at enrollment. 

  4. Students requiring Medication during school hours, please refer to Medication at School for required forms and direction.

  5. Parents should not permit a child or children to attend school if afflicted with or exposed to infectious or communicable disease that requires exclusion.

  6. An ill or injured student will not be sent home or taken home until a parent/guardian or designated person is contacted. It is imperative that current phone numbers be listed as well as those of a relative or neighbor in the event the parent/guardian cannot be reached.

Illness Policy for K-12

A student may be sent home if they have any of the following conditions and poses a risk of spread of harmful illness to others:

  • A fever at or over 100 degrees(medication cannot be dispensed at school for the possibility of a fever)

  • Students will be sent home for vomiting

  • Students will be sent home for undiagnosed rash

  • Students will be sent home for red eyes with thick yellow/green or white drainage

In order to prevent the spread of communicable disease, before returning to school students must be free of the following for 24 hours without the use of medications or be approved to return by a doctor.

  • Fever at or over 100 degrees

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

Students must remain home for 24 hours after taking the first dose of antibiotic for an infection.

A doctors note may be need to be obtained on an as needed basis.

All USD 252 Facilities will follow KDHE illness policy for exclusion in addition to information listed above.

Some instances are case by case in which we work with the parents/guardians to decide the best possible outcome to keep students safe and healthy.

Please refer to Early Childhood Illness Policy for the Early Childhood Centers. Early childhood follows their Early Childhood Policy in addition to Guidelines for Exclusion of Children(or Staff Working With Children) Who Are Ill As Recommended in Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Standards: Guidelines for Out of Home Child Care Programs(Third Edition)


All students enrolling in any district school shall provide the building principal with proof of immunization of certain diseases or furnish documents to satisfy statutory requirements. Booster shots mandated by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Environment are also required.

Non-immunized students, including those with a religious, medical or other statutory exemption, shall be excluded from attending school during an outbreak of a vaccine- preventable disease in their attendance building. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis by a licensed employee.

Immunization requirements and recommendations are based the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations. Immunizations are used to protect children from once-common highly infectious diseases.

For further details see the USD252 Policy Handbook, Chapter J; page JGCB(right hand corner of the policy book)

  • Immunizations can be obtained from your health care provider or local health department.

  • Once your child receives their vaccination(s) a copy will be needed at your child's school.

  • The current recommended, minimum interval and catch up immunization schedules may be found on the CDC website.

KDHE Requirements for Early Childhood and K-12 for 2023-2024 can be found below:

KDHE Medical Exemption Form:

vaccine for 2023-2024

Health Assessments and Physicals

Unless otherwise provided herein, all students under the age of nine shall submit evidence they have undergone a health assessment prior to:

  • Entering Kindergarten

  • Before enrolling in the district for the first time.

Health assessment may be received from a licensed physician, nurse or health care provider approved to perform health assessments.

If evidence of an official health assessment dated no more than six months previous to the students first day of school in the district can be produced it will be acceptable.

As an alternative to the health assessment required, a pupil shall present:

  1. A written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teaching are opposed to such assessments, or

  2. A written statement signed by one parent or guardian that such assessments are in the process of being received and will be completed within 90 days after admission to school.

A pupil shall be subject to exclusion from school attendance until such time as the pupil shall have complied with the requirements. A written notice will be given to the parents or guardian of the involved pupil.

All students engaged in athletic activities covered by KSHSAA rules should provide a pre-physical examination and clearance form to participate. See left side panel under Health Related Enrollment Forms for printable form.

For further details see the USD252 Policy Handbook, Chapter J; page JGC

Medication At School

According to Board Policy JGFGBA, USD 252 will assist in administering medications to students requiring medications throughout the day. Before any medication is administered by school personnel, the following procedures must be in place. This is for K-12.

  1. All Prescription Medication must have a written order from a medical person licensed to prescribe medication on file. The order, preferably written on the school’s “Permission for Administration of Prescription Medication at School” form, must include the student's name, date, medication name, dosage, directions for administration and anticipated number of days to be administered, if applicable. A parent/guardian must also sign this form. If the medication is to be given for 2 weeks or less, the original properly labeled container may be substituted for the medical prescriber’s written order, however, parent/guardian must still provide written permission. (Example: antibiotic, eye- drops, etc.)

  1. Self-Administered Medications are limited to: Inhalers for Asthma and Epi-pens for Anaphylactic/Allergic reactions. This does NOT include Prescription or over-the-counter medications. “Permission for Administration of Prescription Medication at School” form has the option for the medical personnel to decide if students may self administer/carry these medications. This must be filled out appropriately.

  1. For Occasional Medication Needs, A LIMITED SUPPLY of over-the-counter medications is available for students. Written parental permission is required. This includes the following ORAL OTC meds(Middle/High School ONLY): Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Midol(females only), Excedrin, Anti-acid, cough drops. This also includes the following TOPICAL OTC meds: Antibiotic ointment, anti-itch lotion, benadryl cream, burn gels, vaseline and hydrogen peroxide. An increased usage will require parents to send the student’s own supply along with additional written permission and specific directions. See Item #4.

  1. For any Over-the-Counter medications not previously mentioned (eye drops, nasal spray, etc.) or for any Chronic or Frequent condition requiring regular administration of an over-the-counter medication, a “Permission for Administration of Over-the-Counter Medication at School ” form should be completed and signed by parent/guardian, and prescribing physician, if applicable. Medications must be sent in the original container and properly labeled.


  • All medications must be sent in the original container. (Pharmacies will furnish extra labeled
    containers, for school, when asked.)

  • Any change in type of drugs, dosage and or time of administration should be accompanied by new physician and parent permission signatures and a newly labeled pharmacy container. 

  • If medication is a controlled substance this will need to be brought in by the parent/guardian, in the original container from the pharmacy, and not sent with the student to school. 

  • Medication will be kept at school for the duration of time noted on the permission form. 

  • All Permission forms for on-going medication and occasional-use medication must be renewed yearly.

  • The administration of any such authorized medication shall be logged by the building administrator or his/her designee in the schools medical diary which shall be maintained for these purposes and filed by the administrator for future reference. 

  • In the administration of medication, the school employee shall not be deemed to have assumed any legal responsibility other than acting as a duly authorized employee of the school district. 

  • Copies of all permission forms can be found in the school handbook, downloaded from the school’s website, or obtained from the school secretary or school nurse.

Early Childcare Centers

In order to give child medication at early childcare:

  • For prescription medication we must have the KDHE Authorization for Dispensing Medication form filled out and the medication must be in the original container with the pharmacy label.

  • For over the counter medication we must have an KDHE Authorization for Dispensing Medication form filled out. Over the Counter medication has to be supplied by guardian in the original container.

  • Authorization for Dispensing Medication is for either short term or long term use; whichever is applicable to your child's situation.

  • KDHE Authorization for Dispensing Medication forms are available at the Early Childcare Centers or printable from this website at the top of this webpage to the left under the "Medication Administration Forms For Early Childhood" tab.

Other Health Related Information/Forms

Early Childhood Handbook

Sadie Jones Fund(Funding resource for children in Lyon and Chase counties. Established to meet medical needs of children with special emphasis on providing funds for children with vision and/or hearing needs)

Application for Certified Copy of Kansas Birth Certificate

Head Lice Guidelines

COVID19 Isolation Guidelines (Isolation ONLY applies to USD252)

Asthma Action Plan

Seizure Action Plan

Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Plan

Kansas Diabetes Healthcare Plan

Nursing Staff

Christina Magana, LPN

Hartford Jr/Sr High School

Phone: 620-392-5515

Fax: 620-392-5962


Darrah Pearson, RN

Neosho Rapids Elementary School

Phone: 620-342-7783

Fax: 620-341-9464


Aubrey Arnold, RN

Olpe Jr/Sr. High School

Phone: 620-465-3223

Fax: 620-475-3244


Megan Beitz, RN

Olpe Elementary School

Phone: 620-475-3277

Fax: 620-475-3244