~ Hartford High School Alumni ~
Alumni Motto: "Not for School but for Life."
President:
Amber Shmidt
Vice President:
Amanda Zweimiller
Secretary:
Kristen Herrick
Treasurer:
Justin Farr
Two-Year Committee Members:
Haley Rhoads & Kelli Farr

Announcements:

The 114th Annual Hartford High School Alumni Banquet will be held on May 28, 2011 in the New Hartford High School Gym. (Those attending need to enter through the southeast entrance.)
Doors will open at 5:00, Classes will be called at 5:30, and Dinner, which will be catered by the Olpe Chicken House, will be served at 6:00. The Alumni Association Business Meeting will be held immediately following the dinner. Some items on the agenda include: invitation to the class of 2011 to join the Hartford High School Alumni Association, announcement of recipients of scholarships, nominations for secretary, recognition of oldest alumnus attending and alumnus traveling the farthest, and class reunion reports.
If you have questions about the banquet, you can contact:
Hartford High School at 620-392-5515.

 

History of the Schools of Hartford, KS
(Taken from the Alumni Directory of Hartford High School, Centennial Edition, 1957)


The first school in Hartford began shortly after the town was founded in 1857 when Mrs. A.K. Hawkes, wife of one of the founders, taught school in her home.
In 1861, the Neosho Valley Educational Association elected a board for the purpose of locating and founding an institution of learning. After several months of deliberation the Hartford Collegiate Institute was founded in December 1861 by that board. School actually began in the “Old College Building” on October 14, 1863 with Solomon Lewis as teacher.
By 1866 the school had grown to four teachers and 78 pupils. Thirty-three were classed as college preparatory, and forty-five were enrolled in the academic department.
On April 8, 1867, Professor A.D. Chambers leased the building for 10 years and began an Academy. However the schism between the Methodist North and Methodist South churches and the hard times that hit in the 1870’s made it difficult for him to maintain a school. The district school used the lower floor until 1877 when a two-story, four-room frame building was built in the northwest part of town. In 1883 an addition was made to this building.
During the 1880’s, a two-year high school was established and classes were in the “old frame building.” Later the length of high school was increased to a three-year course and several of the sons of the pioneers graduated in these two-year and three-year classes.
The high school remained in the frame school building until 1903 when it was transferred to the “Old College Building” which the board of trustees of the Hartford Collegiate Institute had transferred to the Hartford High School Board.
In 1912, the high school was moved back into the old frame building where it remained until high school classes were moved into the newly built high school in the North part of town during the spring of 1916.
The school originally was supported by District 25 and at times there was hardly enough money to operate; but the passage of the Barnes Law gave it new life. In 1921, District 25 consolidated with the Rummel district, known as “Frog Pond” under the title of Consolidated No. 1.
In the spring of 1895 the first four-year class was graduated from Hartford High School. There were five graduates in the first class; two in 1896. In the spring of 1897 the Hartford High Alumni Association was planned into an organization by the members of these two classes. The class of 1897, with seven graduates, was the first to be initiated into the association.

 

Interesting Information:

  • The Class of 1916 was the first to graduate in the “new building”.
  • The classes prior to 1916 held their graduations in the Opera House except the class of 1896, which held their graduation at the Methodist Church. The Opera House had burned down and was not rebuilt until 1987.
  • The first trophy won at Hartford High school was in 1910 by the basketball team.
  •  In 1922, Hartford High has their first undefeated football season.
  • In 1936, three Hartford High Alumni were on the United States Olympic team. Eugene Johnson, class of 1919, was assistant coach of the Olympic basketball team; Francis Johnson, class of 1929, was a forward on the Olympic Champions; Francis G. Welch, class of 1914, was coach for Olympic runner, San Romani.
  • Hartford High was one of the first eight accredited high schools in Kansas.
  • The Class Cane, which is still being passed down from each graduating class to the next, was donated to the class of 1927 by C.A. Johnson.
  • In 1952, the “Old Gym” was built.
  • In 1963, Hartford and Neosho Rapids consolidated, thus introducing the Jaguars as the new mascot.
  • In 1965, Hartford, Neosho Rapids, and Olpe consolidated to form USD 252.
  • Hartford Alumnus, Eugene Johnson was inducted into the Kansas Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame in 1986.
  • In 2001, the 1915 High School building was torn down.
© Bronte' Bailey
Hartford High School
Web Page and Design Class